IntroA Progressive Web App (will be called PWA from now on) is, in simple terms, a way that you can make your website feel and look like an app without having to actually build an app. Currently it supports 'Add to Home' and notifications. I'll start with Add to Home functionality.
Add to Home ButtonThe add to home functionality has some benefits such as:
- Works offline or when the device isn't connected to the internet.
- Works on every browser and every device.
- Loads much faster since much of the design is stored locally. Instantly in most cases.
- Looks and feels like an app.
- More secure, using https only to prevent snooping.
You'll need to generate multiple images (favicons) in different sizes. A great tool for that is realfavicongenerator.net.
realfavicongenerator.net will not only generate the icons needed, but also will create your manifest.json file. All images and the manifest file are easier to implement, many sources say, by putting them in your home folder.
[code & further instructions to come]